April 22 is Earth Day
How can you celebrate Earth Day each day?
Today is Earth Day. It's the one day dedicated to increasing the awareness and appreciation of all things in the environment.
The first Earth Day was held on April 22, 1970.
Here are some things recommended by South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control to help leave the earth, better than you found it.
- Start a recycling program.
- Begin a carpool program or commute by bicycle to improve air quality.
- Change out incandescent light bulbs for more energy efficient compact fluorescent lighting.
- Create a rain garden for your yard or community; it improves local water quality by reducing potentially harmful runoff pollution.
- Leave only footprints when visiting our state's beaches and coastal areas; take your trash with you when you leave.
A river clean-up will be held at Clemson University. Want to help?
Looking for some activities to help children understand why Earth Day is important? Check out this article by The Huffington Post featuring 12 ideas for things you can do together to celebrate the earth.