Summerville Patch Turns One Year Old
A look back at some of the top stories since the founding of Summerville Patch.
Summerville Patch launched June 20, 2011, and Wednesday it celebrates its first birthday as the town's only fully online news source.
Much of the tale from the last year has been in the realm of politics. Patch leapt onto the scene on the same day as Mayor Bill Collins' swearing in. It then continued coverage of the S.C. GOP presidential preferential primary. More recently, it hosted a GOP debate and followed the state and county office GOP primary. Now the ballot mess that has troubled the state has come to Dorchestre County's doorstep.
But it hasn't been all politics.
The most popular story of 2012 was the story Patch broke first March 26: Famous musician Willie Nelson will adopt two horses nearly starved to death in the area. One of the horses suffered extensive chemical burns.
Patch has continued to monitor Traveler and Whisper's progress toward health as the nonprofit LEARN cares for them, getting them fit enough for travel to Nelson's Texas home.
Patch was also the first to report the death of Summerville firefighter and Reevesville fire chief Ross Reeves, when he was in a one-car collision earlier this month, and the first to report that Summerville High Principal Buddy Chapel would leave the school for a Pennsylvania school in the fall.
Among one of its more popular and regular stories is Patch's arrest reports — highlighting those arrested by Summerville Police and Dorchester County Sheriff's Office. These reports have included DUIs, simple possession of marijuana and much more.
Here are the top 25 stories of 2012:
- "Willie Nelston to Take Burned, Starved Horse"
- "Child Dies After Dog Attack"
- "Occupiers Glitter Bomb Santorum Concession Speech"
- "Poll: Who Won Monday's Debate?"
- "Romney Underwhelms, Paul Surprises at Debate"
- "Chief: Fiance Responsible for Dara Watson Disappearance"
- "'Diners, Drive-ins and Dives' Features Perfectly Franks"
- "Dara Watson Case: Deputies Find Shovel"
- "Teacher Arrested on Charge of Soliciting Minor"
- "Summerville Firefighter Dies in Wire Road Wreck"
- "Worker Dies on Dorchester Road"
- "Update: Man Safely Ends Ravenel Bridge Standoff"
- "Chapel Leaves Summerville High"
- "Candidate Profile: Ron Paul"
- "Alleged Attempted Kidnapping Reported on Tea Farm Road"
- "Evangelicals Weigh-In on Electibility vs. Ideology"
- "Busted: Arrest Reports for Feb. 23"
- "Sheriff's Office: Father in Custody"
- "Raising Cain: Citizens United Candidate Scores Votes"
- "Busted: Arrest Reports for Jan. 28"
- "Sexting Alleged at Ashley Ridge High"
- "Would S.C. Voters Like to Do Over Primary?"
- "Busted: Arrest Reports for April 17"
- "Patch/GOP Debate: Watch It Now"
- "Romney Outlines Tougher Immigration Stand in Direct Mail Piece"
What do you think of Patch? What can we do better to better serve Summerville? What do you want to see Patch do in the next year? Tell us in the comments!
Want to get us a little something for Patch's first birthday? Here's our wish list:
- Like us on Facebook. Share the link with your friends and ask them to like us too!
- Follow us on Twitter
- Sign up for our daily newsletter
- Become a blogger! Email email@example.com to find out how