Dorchester County Press Release
Dorchester County will apply treatments beginning Friday evening and throughout the weekend in residential areas that include Newington Plantation, Sprucewood, Carolina Avenue/Five Points and Twin Oaks to help control adult mosquito populations.
Application will occur during the hours of 9 p.m. and 5 a.m., and occurs throughout Dorchester County on a regular basis.
Spraying will be administered with truck-mounted equipment to treat open spaces in and around these residential areas. The products are designed to provide quick, effective control of adult mosquito populations.
The application materials are safe for people, pets, and the environment.
Individuals can take a number of precautionary measures around their homes to help eliminate mosquito-breeding areas, including:
- Dispose of cans, buckets, plastic containers, or similar containers that hold water.
- Eliminate stagnant water that may collect in certain outdoor objects, such as birdbaths, tires, wading pools, wheelbarrows, etc. Stagnant water is where most mosquitoes breed.
- Drill holes in the bottom of outdoor recycling containers.
- Have clogged roof gutters cleaned every year.
- Clean and chlorinate swimming pools not in use.
For more information or to report severely populated areas, contact 843-832-0070 with the address location of the area in question.